Toten Island, Off the Tanga Harbour – Tanzania

Toten Island (Swahili Kisiwa cha Toten, adapted from German Toteninsel, meaning “Island of the Dead”) is situated off the Tanga harbour in Tanzania. It is within the Tanga Bay.
The Island contains ruins of two mosques and tombs. The name comes from the German word for “dead bodies” alluding to the numerous graves on the island.

Until 1854 Toten Island was still inhabited by people. In 1884 the remaining people moved to what is present day Tanga city